Thursday, May 22, 2008

Comfort Food in Manhattan

Sake Bar Hagi

I've finally found what I was looking for, a restaurant on the island of Manhattan that I can depend on, somewhere I would revisit often. A welcoming place that fit nicely my weekly budget with a friendly atmosphere, good selection of drinks, and a fantastic variety of snacks. I've been there a few times already this month, and it hasn't disappointed me. Be ware, they open at 5:30pm, so if you are there right after the last seats are taken for the first seating, be prepared to wait about an hour for the next availability.

Sake Bar Hagi a hidden gem located a few blocks from Times Square, right in the shadow of Rockefeller Center. The menu includes standard Japanese appetizers like edamame, agedashi tofu,takoyaki , and yakitori. Other dishes I've tried are avocado salad, sliced steak, chicken gizzard, wasabi shumai, and smelt; I particularly enjoyed the deep fried chicken gizzard (pictured above) - it's a savory treat not typically found in restaurants on this side of the Pacific. I would never get tired of izakaya (Japanese pub) fare. This is the perfect spot to unwind after a day of hard work: delicious snacks, cold sake (or if you prefer, beer), and no pretense... what more can one ask for? (Yes, this is the place Bourdain visited on the travel channel)

wasabi shumai takoyaki
yakitori yakitori

Sake Bar Hagi
152 W. 49th St.,
New York, NY 10019
nr. Seventh Ave.
212-764-8549

1 comment:

Maggie said...

Mindy, thanks for the heads up! I didn't know anything until I got your comment -- not that Ko-thario had made a choice, not that Grub Street had posted an update, nothing. I'm just excited that I now have my own tags (2 of them!) on the Grub Street blog!

So are you going with the guy, are you Domenique? OR are you going on your own?