Wednesday, May 7, 2008

A Rose By Any Other Name

click for all photos from The Melting Pot
click on image above for complete photo album

Whether it's called nabemono, hot pot, jjigae, sukiyaki, shabu shabu, or fondue, the term describes a pot of broth and various chunks of food that is cooked and flavored by dipping in the hot liquid and its accompanying sauces. From rich, melted chocolate, to fragrant, robust cheese, to tongue-numbing spices, it can be sweet or savory.

I'm a big fan of cheese (with fruit usually) and have been wanting to have fondue again before my first experience at Zola New World Bistro in State College, PA. Closer to home is Artisanal Fromagerie and Bistro in Murray Hill, but I've never had a desire to step foot in the establishment. No particular reason, there are plenty of other restaurants in Manhattan for that one to make my list. On the weekends I prefer to stay away from Manhattan, I'll let the tourists fight it out with the B&T.

The Melting Pot of Long Island (Farmingdale, to be exact) opened in November 2007, this is currently the largest out of 125 outposts in the country. The other patrons there were dressed for a night out on the town, of course I am in my weekend jeans-and-sneakers. It was dark inside, with plenty of booths and tables, it was impressively clean, and the atmosphere is almost business-like (or even romantic) -- this was early evening on a Saturday. The waitress was awkwardly friendly though she was not familiar with their offerings (I told her this was our first time at the Melting Pot and expected a song and dance with a story about the restaurant chain - which didn't happen). We ordered the Pacific Rim, started with the spinach artichoke cheese fondue and two salads, followed by the entrée with coq au vin fondue. I thought unique, helpful hints might have enhanced the experience (but then again fondue is pretty much dummy-proof), we were introduced to multiple dipping sauces (one is called the green goddess), and advised to cook the raw pork, poultry, and shrimp for two minutes before eating. I was so excited in the beginning be sitting in front of another fondue meal, I carelessly burned the roof of my mouth on a piece of hot, chewy, cubed bread covered in melted fontina cheese. Being a traditionalist, I insisted on watching drunken chicken broth come to a boil before dipping in our raw ingredients. It took a while, and I doubted the electric plate's ability to heat pot, but it did. We stabbed the chunks of pork, beef, and chicken with our fondue forks and threw them in the bubbling fondue.

The serving portion was more than adequate for two people; there was no room for dessert. This meal cannot be rushed, unless you want to risk food poisoning (à la e. coli or salmonella). This was pricey for what it was, a self-cooked meal. It was a fun hands-on experience and I can see what a treat this would be for grade school children.

After dinner, one can potentially pass some time at Adventureland, located within walking distance from the restaurant. Next time I have fondue it will be homemade.

The Melting Pot
2377 Broadhollow Rd.
(Route 110)
Farmingdale, NY 11735
631-752-4242

No comments: